"And though I may be all wrong for the guy..."

Glee. I've really enjoyed this first season. A lot of people have bemoaned how the show has lost some of its spark, but I don't really see it. I love musicals and Broadway, and I still love the show very much.

The addition of Idina Menzel to the show was a nice touch, though I admit I didn't think much of her at first. The first time I saw her was in Enchanted, and I didn't think she was all that pretty. Until I heard her sing in Glee. Gosh, now I love this woman.

Right now I have her Glee rendition of Funny Girl playing on repeat. And it got me thinking-- why do I love this song so much? Well, mostly because it sets off a whole range of emotions in me, most of which can be summed up in one word.

Wistfulness.

It makes me feel wistful. Like there's this impossible melancholy and sad longing within me that I cannot really express, all complex and tangled up in anger and love and yearning and sorrow and desire and teary-eyed smiles.

I told one of my best friends today about how our musical tastes are all a result of our different experiences and upbringings, and how different songs and music affect us differently. Well, I think wistful songs really get to me because my life is one big wistful song.



'Funny'. Did you hear that? 'Funny.'

Yeah, the guy said, "Honey, you're a funny girl."

That's me, I just keep them in stitches, doubled in half

And though I may be all wrong for the guy, I'm good for a laugh

I guess it's not funny, life is far from sunny

When the laugh is over, and the joke's on you

A girl ought to have a sense of humor

That's one thing you really need for sure when you're a funny girl

The fellow said 'a funny girl'

Funny how it ain't so funny

Funny girl



0 comments :: "And though I may be all wrong for the guy..."