I haven't posted in a while.

I suppose it's all due to the fact that because I don't embrace the gay side of me, I feel like I have less to talk about. If you asked me why I am in denial about that part of me, I would probably say that it's because I don't want to give it any room to grow. I don't want to acknowledge it because by acknowledging it, I'd be giving it room to grow and justify itself.

On the other hand, it's getting hard to deny myself the reality of the desires that come with that side of me. I'm incessantly turned on by so many things around me. I find that it's becoming more difficult to say no to the desires within me, and I often catch myself fantasizing, or staring at someone I'm drawn toward.

Sometimes I'd like nothing more than to give into my desires. To satisfy my carnal urges. I stare at the object of my desire and notice the little things about him-- the way his hair sways, the way he walks, the way his jeans crease and fold and frame his butt when he moves... the way he laughs at jokes, the things that get him angry...

And oh man, the smile. I melt every single time.

Images of ear-nibbling and neck-kissing and licking dance in my head, with my tongue leading adventurous jaunts around his body, always exploring. Even just holding him would cause my heart to flutter.

And amid it all, I just don't know what to do. I feel like just shrugging everything off and jumping headlong into the reality that tears away at my insides... friends, family and people who judge me be damned. I get all these feelings inside, and I just don't know what to do with myself. I don't know how to get away. I'm angry, I'm bitter, and I just want someone to tell me it's OK.

Is that so much to ask?

We Christians are such hypocrites. No... actually it's people in general. But Christians bear a bigger responsibility simply because we're called to strive to God's standards. And we fail so many times. But never has there been a bigger example of our failure than the lack of understanding of what it means to be gay and Christian. Or simply gay for that matter.

Everytime I hear a Christian friend make a negative comment about gays, I feel a twinge of annoyance and guilt inside. I often agree, or play the part and say how gross a gay display on TV is, or whatever else I happen to see with my friends. But then, I feel hurt because it's like they're talking about me. I feel bad because I myself am being such a hypocrite.

But what's a guy to do? Being gay and Christian does not ostensibly go together, and I'm often torn between my desire and my faith. I'm pained by what I imagine my friends in church would say if they knew the truth, but at the same time, I'm bitter because a part of myself dares me to try it and tell them... just to test how much they believe what they all say about loving your neighbour.

Then, when they shun me and walk away, I can laugh at them and jeer at them and tell myself I was right about those hypocrites all along. I can tell myself that I didn't really need them anyway, 'cause they're not real friends. Real friends wouldn't walk away. Real friends would support me! Yeah, I'll laugh and I'll sneer and I'll show them their lies.

Because maybe then I can forget that I'm alone.

5 comments :: I haven't posted in a while.

  1. "If you asked me why I am in denial about that part of me, I would probably say that it's because I don't want to give it any room to grow. I don't want to acknowledge it because by acknowledging it, I'd be giving it room to grow and justify itself."

    It's funny, I was just talking to someone about this. I found, personally (and this doesn't necessarily apply to you of course, it's just my experience) that there was more 'thought sin' (ie: lust) going on when I was denying my sexuality than when I finally admitted it... because I just kept pretending that it wasn't happening, sort of closing the door to that room in my mind. Which meant that whatever was going on in there was allowed to grow -- or fester, or mold, however you want to put it. My lust problem has decreased so dramatically since I 'came out', it's been a bit of a shock. But not I can admit that my brain is doing what it's doing, and stop it.

    But I totally understand the fear of coming out... I mean, I'm barely out... I'm sort of standing just outside the closet door. My non-Christian friends know... but most of my friends are Christians, and I've only told 8 of them (well, 6 of them... two of them told their husbands -- with my permission). I go to church and talk to people and know that they have no idea, and fear what they would do if they knew. It's pretty harsh. And whether or not the hypocracy of the church is relevant to my relationship with Christ, it is relevant to my relationship with the flesh and blood people I have to deal with, and so it is something to fear.

    All of that to say I understand.

    I also understand the melting power of a smile. Very frustrating. You're not alone.

  2. jj & oddpsalms, "coming out" of the closet can be a very big mistake, there will be hypocrites everywhere. Your friend today could hurl the first stone tomorrow. Always weigh the consequences, are you prepared to face them?

    If there is a need to, tell only those that you would trust totally & completely to not let you down one way or the other.

    People have a strange way of "changing" their minds about you so be careful. God gave you wisdom, use it.

    My prayers are with you. Stay strong in Christ. God bless.

    Anonymous

    12:43 AM

  3. just wondering ash.. do you want to break away from homosexuality? do you see it as a sin?

    Anonymous

    3:54 PM

  4. Read my other posts, and you'll see that I do think it is a sin.

    This post was basically for me to express myself. Because even though I want to break free of it, I'm not going to lie to anyone and deny that I do feel these desires and yearnings. I do have these thoughts run through my head, try as I might to stop them, just as a smoker who's trying to quit has thoughts of smoking.

  5. Although, to reiterate, I do not see being homosexuality as the sin, but rather the practice of it.